My Very Own Santa………………..By Leena Kundnani



  

        

 

It's that magical time of the year…. Christmas!!! The Christmas trees are all lit up, and Christmas carols are in the air. People are in a festive mood…. getting ready to end the year on a high note, and welcome the new year with a bang. The younger children all over the world are starting to wonder if they are on Santa’s good or naughty list, and what they would find under the tree on Christmas,  while most teenagers would have their Christmas lists ready to hand over to their parents, just like my 12 year old. 

I grew up in a date and age when Santa Claus wasn’t an idea as popular as it is today. But, thinking back, I realize that I did in fact, have my very own personal Santa Claus in my life, my DAD, who was (and still is) there just for me. The very best part is…. I didn't even have to wait till Christmas for my Santa to give me any gift. I had to only THINK of something, and voila, I used to get it even without asking. My dad (Santa) was (and still is)  there for me all through the year, and I didnt have to be on the “good” list to get these gifts and treats. Till today, when I am with you, you make me feel so special. I still feel like a little girl, always showered with gifts and surprises.

Daddy, you are so vibrant and full of life, always ready to enjoy and have a nice time. With you so many things were impromptu, and that made each and every day so much more fun. Remember, sometimes while driving to get some groceries if we came across a new restaurant, you were always ready to try it out. A simple drive or an errand to the market could turn into a fun filled evening with a sumptuous dinner. From eating at local dhabas to dining at some of the fine dine restaurants, you took me everywhere and exposed me to all sorts of dining experiences. You even took me for occasional dinners at the Taj or Oberoi, the two most famous 5 star hotels in Mumbai at that time. 

Daddy, you took me on so many trips all over India. I have seen some of the most beautiful places in India, and I owe all this to you. Today I realized how much you would have sacrificed to give me what I desired. All those toys and clothes that I so readily got….. It was because you never bought anything for yourself so you could fulfill my (neverending) demands and wishes. Somehow, this tradition carries on even till date. Today, whenI ask you to buy a shirt or kurta for yourself, you always say “I have so many kurtas” or “my closet is full of shirts, I don't need any more” when, in reality, you would rather get me, my mom, or your granddaughter something. Thinking back, maybe I recollect seeing that heel of your shoe, so worn out, when I shamelessly insisted you buy me a pair of sandals, not because I “needed” it but because I wanted it. I remember you wearing an old faded shirt because I only had 4 dresses in pink, and I HAD to have one more in “light pink” as all others were different shades of pink.

Today, the only complaint I have is that I wish you would learn to be a bit more selfish. Daddy, there is and can never be, anyone like you. 


                                                                                 ………………..Leena

Comments

  1. Your thoughts and memories about your Dad flow generously, like your Dad’s love for you always did…and will I am sure. So touching

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lioness - By Nayana Gadkari

The Staircase - By Nayana Gadkari

The Sound Of The Gong - By Nayana Gadkari