I am……. Because you are..... By Leena Kundnani

 


Mother, Mom, Mama, Mommy, Aai, Amma, Ammi…… So many names, so many emotions

I don't think there are enough words to emulate what a mother does for her children. My mother, my life giver, is someone whom I not only love but also revere and idolize. I owe my very existence to my mom. She is a symbol of selfless love, sacrifice, forgiveness, and patience. When God created this world, HE knew he couldn't be everywhere so he created MOMS….


Dear Mom…..No words are enough to thank you for what you do everyday. From teaching me to walk and talk, nurturing me with your sumptuous home cooked meals, and healing me when I was sick, no words can describe what you have done for me and do for me till date. 


As a doctor, you chose to give up your flourishing private practice as it entailed long hours of being away from home. Instead, you chose to opt for a job at the local hospital so that you could be there for me at home when I came back from school. At that time, I didn't think much of it, I (selfishly) thought that's what all mothers do, I took it as my right (entitled, right?)  and never thanked you. Honestly, I don't think I would have sacrificed as much as you did, more so, if I had toiled so many years to complete my medical college studies. 


I still remember how you selflessly and patiently took me to so many parks even if you were tired after work, just so that I could play with my friends. You never complained and did all that with a smile. And in my teen years, as I found my new love in baking, you never once complained about the extra work you had to do, when I wanted to try my hands at making cookies or a cake (of course I would just walk away after baking, without bothering to clean up). Today as a wife and mom, when I have to clean up my kitchen after cooking, I realized how much extra work all that baking would have given you. 


I am no writer, I am no poet, but here is a small tribute to what you mean to me: 


You gifted me life, in return I gave you sleepless nights

You taught me how to discern between wrong and right

With you my dear mom, everything is an absolute delight 

You celebrated my every success

And were my biggest comfort when I failed 

A ray of hope when everything seems wrong 

You taught me to be strong

You are the guiding force in my life

You emulate what I ever dream to be

It's in your warm embrace that I belong



…….. Leena



Comments

  1. Really heartwarming and moving piece Leena. Nothing as pretty as a mom and daughter love story..You indeed brought it to life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lioness - By Nayana Gadkari

The Staircase - By Nayana Gadkari

The Sound Of The Gong - By Nayana Gadkari