Someday Perhaps....

 10 days before....

With just an hour left for the deadline, I start pacing the floor up and down awaiting the call. Rewind a few minutes back when a random search on my inbox yields an email with subject line "You have been Selected from the Waiting List for The Jersey City Marathon & Half Marathon Marquee Event at Newport". I have never even remotely won anything when it comes to raffles or lucky draws, so how did I get this lucky...In hindsight I should have just bought a lottery that day!!😊

So, the phone rings and our Sincere Coach S calls. Now Coach S is very technical and data oriented. If your weekday runs don't add up to 1.5 times your weekend run, he's not amused. And here I was going to talk him into guiding me to run a half marathon in 10 days after missing 3 weeks of peak training with my last Long run being 5.5 miles.

Coach S:You are already signed up for Brooklyn(still 6 weeks away), why do you want to do this?
Me: Because all my friends are going ( ab FOMO Coach S ko kaise samjhayen 😕) 
Coach S: Hmm..😒(Clearly not sharing the same excitement as me) . When was your last 10 miles
Me (in my mind- more than a year back 😓)  - Coach S the last I did was 5.5 miles.
Coach S: You can complete but no pace pressure and your target time will be 3:30/3:45(3:45??? The race course closes in 3:30 my mind shrieks out aloud 😟) . You cant be injured for Brooklyn. Thats your main race.and 8 miles this weekend @15min/mile..
Me: I got this Coach !!! 👍

A day before...

I start pacing the floor up and down. Legend has it-Its going to rain tomorrow....  

I await anxiously
For the day to come..
Trained whilst dreamt for it all along
Some hits, misses some...

Nervous I am, yet Contended
Strong willed but Jitters abound
Tomorrow will be yet another finish
With a new start waiting around.

Race Day

Enroute the JCM Start Line....

"Beginning well, half is done." 

My morning started in the elite company of 4 cool and composed marathoners and a prodigious teenager on our way to the race. Listening to their 18 miler,20 miler training stories I start envisioning myself beyond the 13.1 finish line.. The awe struck me, wondered what does it take to be at the marathon finish line. The rains, the distance, the lack of training no longer bothered me. The distance I was going to complete today, my fellow passengers had already run the same, umpteen number of times(rain, shine, snow) in their marathon training.

At the Start Line & Beyond....

Completely drenched, wet shoes, wet socks the journey begins. One mile gives way to second, second to third and finally the forever elusive10 miler is in sight. Kids on the street waving, onlookers cheering, crossing guards at the intersection, the vibe, the energy, the encouragement in pouring rains..Miles 11,12 pass by quickly and before I realize I cross the finish line with a smile.😊😊

 At the Finish Line 

The finish line is a very emotional space....

What am I? I am Today An Extension of You.. The love for me When much I cant do... (My Family) What am I?

I am Today A Reflection of You.. The belief in me When hopes go skew.. (My Coaches) What am I? I am Today Simply Just YOU.. Daring to Dream Albeit, In a varied hue....... (All my fellow runners who share the same dreams as me, guide me and inspire me with their inspiring journeys and runs )

Half Marathoner Me with the All Inspiring Marathon Squad

Someday perhaps, I would be one of them..

What's life without an impossible dream......



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nicely written and such a happy, moving, delightful account of your race. I loved the write up, the poem in the middle, prose and closing with such poignant lines. Just beautiful.
    Atul

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Girl, The City and The Marathon - By Nayana Gadkari

Lioness - By Nayana Gadkari

Amma and I: A tale of family traditions